Skip to main content

Dzynspiration - 15th Feb 2009

A great proportion of my day is spent browsing through the dozens of new items cropping up in my feed reader each day. In one way, it's a useful method to ensure I stay up to date with the latest design trends. But my main reason is to find inspiration.

Documenting the articles which hold my attention is as much helpful for me as it is to offer insights into what inspires me from one week to the next. After all, a set of bookmarks stored on my own laptop provides neither visual nor temporal information as to the creative finds I've enjoyed!


Here are the sites and articles which have inspired me this week:

Applying Mathematics to Web Design - Smashing Magazine


This article explores the notion that "mathematics is beautiful" and how the principles of the Golden Ratio, the Fibonnacci sequence and Kundli may be assist in the creation of beautiful, balanced web design layouts.

View article


A Compilation of Retro Fonts for Designers - Naldz Graphics


Font showcases are undoubtedly inspirational. As designers we need them for a multitude of purposes, from logo design to blog post images and everything between.

This compilation showcases over 40 retro fonts which we can download for free - an added bonus for any designer working to a budget!

View article


Tips for designing unique and attractive blog posts - Line25


I love the recent trend swaying towards "blogazines" - where each individual post of a blog is uniquely styled, in the manner of a magazine page.

This article showcases some examples of blogs which utilize this trend, while also explaining some methods of how this may be achieved.

View article


CSS3 examples and best practises - WebDesignerWall


CSS3 is a hot topic. This article from Web Designer Wall outlines some examples of how CSS3 can be used to enhance our web designs, while pointing out some pitfalls we can hope to avoid.

View article


20+ design blogs that release quality freebies - Designm.ag


A great article for finding new bookmarks or sites for your feed reader. Here you can find a list of resources offering freebies for designers, from photoshop brushes to templates, icons and more.

View article


Amazingly scary portraits by Jorge Miguel - FrancescoMugnai.com

Francesco Mugnai's blog is always a wonderful source for inspiration, but I was particularly taken by this article which showcases rather disturbing portraits by Jorge Miguel. Creepy, and well worth a look!

View article

Image credit: mantis by woodleywonderworks, via Flickr

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

45 Stunning Street-Art Samples

When searching for inspiration, the city can be a place of illumination and discovery. For those of you who don't have the time, means or inclination to immerse yourself in the world of breathtaking street art, here's a compilation of amazing pieces (sourced from Flickr's Creative Commons pool) to fuel your creativity.

blog.dzyn.me - Now Broadcasting!

As with any new blog, there must be an introductory first post! So here it is, my enthusiastic introduction to blog.dzyn.me, where I - Amanda Kay - will write periodically about my exploits, passions and adventures in the formidable field of front-end web design. Thank you but no congratulations are required. At least not until my face graces the front cover of .Net magazine! And yes, I did schedule this post to appear at the stroke of midnight, New Years Day. There;'s a very good reason for that. I'll let you figure it out on your own...